Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Yo ho ho and a bottle of Rum


Hello Friends,
Today I would like to annouce that one of my life long dreams has come true this past weekend, on a little jaunt to Victoria. I arrived Thursday night to visit some good friends whom I have known for quite some time. We all thought it most appropriate to begin catching up at a local pub in downtown Victoria. Upon arriving we came across a patio full of drunken folk who were singing and raising their glasses high. After some time had passed, we came to know the loud bunch, and they were the crew for the tall ships that had anchored in the Victoria Harbour, for the tall ship festival. REAL LIVE PIRATES!! We got to chatting with them for quite a while, then they took our phone numbers so that they could have real live victoria locals show them about town. (Of course, I wasn't a local, but I did my best to play the part) The next night, we all met up, about 6-8 people and sat on the rocks by the water, and watched some of the smaller tall ships, "the lady" and "the nina"(a replica of Christopher Columbus sail boat)play a mock battle firing unloaded cannon's and sailing around the harbour. Then we walked back to harbour and got a personal tour of their ship, "The H&R Bounty" which was the biggest tall ship in harbour, and incredibly beautiful. The bounty is also a ship featured on Sponge Bob Sqaure Pants the Movie, and Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3. It was a pivotal moment in my life, when for a weekend I could be a pirate like I have always wanted to do. The crew said that this time in thier lives has been one of the most incredible, people just jump on and jump off wherever they please, and nothing beats sailing the open seas. Apparently the tall ship industry is always in need of crew, and it took everything in me not to call my dad and mom and say, "Hey, sorry, but I am not coming home, instead I will be sailing to the Bahamas on a pirate ship...."....sigh...one day. Maybe, they need a social worker on board at some point. Right?
To say the least, it was an incredibly positive weekend, meeting people that I will never forget, and just about jumping on board the Bounty to take off on an adventure that I would never leave...probably.
Anyways, back to reality, and instead of sailing the open seas, I will be flying off to Europe in a few days. So keep this blog in mind, and I will update you all as often as I can.
Also, I graduated from my old email address, to a more appropriate one:
Please tell me your stories at:
tabithasilva@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Miss you all


Tabby

1 comment:

Rotog said...

Tabby,

That is one of the most inspirational stories I have heard in a long time. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time and we are very happy for you. Kathy and I are planning on being in Nanaimo July 17 and interestingly enough we are staying at the Buccaneer Inn. We are traveling through the mountains on our motorcycle.